Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Saga of Zixi

After a prolonged wait (and overall baffling experience), my 1905 poster for Queen Zixi of Ix has returned from being restored. The finished piece looks much fresher, and is ready to last another 107 years!

Here's the poster before work was done. It was in rough shape - more than really shows in the photo - worn, browned and grubby, with the top border partially cut off.

A brief word - I cannot recommend using Posterfix in Brooklyn, NY for restoration. My experience involved being requested to pay in full, up front, for a job that was to take 8 - 9 weeks. My poster was finally returned 6 months later, incompletely restored! During that time, I didn't get a single response to emails or phone calls asking for a progress report. I have to say, this is a unique way to run a business - but at least the poster finally returned and I was able to finish the restoration myself.

2 comments:

Hungry Tiger Talk said...

So sorry you had such a bad experience. I can't imagine what's going on. My experience with the BABES IN TOYLAND poster was superb and the friend that recommended them to me has used them for many years on man big movie poster projects.

Bill Campbell said...

I don't know what the story is - the man can obviously do good work, but he really needs to communicate with his clients! From some online searching, I get the impression that this has been a problem in the past couple years for a number of people - hopefully he can get himself straightened out!