Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Purple Prince in Oz


I've always enjoyed The Purple Prince of Oz, Ruth Plumly Thompson's Oz book for 1933. This story doesn't bring anyone into Oz from America, but works with characters already there. Both Kabumpo, the Elegant Elephant, and Jinnicky, the Red Jinn are involved in the story - so it's no wonder I like it.





The endpapers feature a spread of John R. Neill's drawings of Jinnicky - here you can see how much his concept of the character changed since Jack Pumpkinhead in Oz.

I also really like the dust jacket for this book, because of the chartreuse spine. It's such a great color, and combined with the purple type, stands out on the shelf as a very Ozzy adventure.

No comments: