Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Valentine

This is a little late for Valentine's Day, but I've just purchased another postcard. This was offered on eBay recently, and I couldn't pass it up as it's one of the more unusual valentines I've seen!

This is a handmade card, undated but certainly vintage, perhaps from the 1920's. The creator has cut the figure from one of W. W. Denslow's Thanksgiving postcards and added a heart to make it holiday appropriate.

Something about the leering man with his ax, eyeing up the heart, makes one wonder why someone thought this made a good valentine. Personally, I think it's hysterical; it just needs "or else" added! It gets better on the reverse, as this was apparently given to Will from Jack. I suppose it was an alternative to anything too romantic...or maybe Jack was sending Will a message!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Nice find! :-)