Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Polychrome's Return

Our stained glass rendition of Polychrome returning to her rainbow is finished!

After passing through the stages of design, cutting, fitting, and painting, there are still several steps before a window is complete. We use a copper foil technique, which means each glass piece must be wrapped around the edge with copper foil, which is what holds everything in place after soldering. In the photo below, I'm foiling on the left and soldering on the right. After soldering, the window is cleaned and the lead lines are darkened. Finally, the window is ready to frame or install!


6 comments:

ilex said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. You are amazing! I bow to your artistry, sir.

Bill Campbell said...

Thanks - of course having such wonderful source material makes all the difference!

James C. Wallace II said...

Wowsers! As someone with a B.S. in Physics specializing in Optics (I also teach Weather and Climate, so rainbows are part of my lecture series) and an author who writes about Polychrome in my Oz books, I applaud your vision and talent. Amazing!!

Sam said...

That is GORGEOUS, Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

Great work! I don't think John Neill could have done a colour version better himself!!

Love This!!

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful work! Will you be installing it to let the light shine through and if so will you post a picture?

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! What a happy memory this brings.

Stuart