Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Convention 2017

This past weekend I was at the National Convention of the International Wizard of Oz Club. As always, it was an opportunity to see old friends and meet new ones, as well as experience a variety of programming dealing with various aspects of Oz.
This year I did a presentation based on the making of the toy theater I've been working on for the past two years. I spoke about the steps involved in creating the theater and the various scenes of the 1903 Wizard of Oz musical. Below are a few pages of sketches and drawings used to make the different curtains and figures used in the scenes of the show.
I finished with a showing of a simple stop-motion animated version of the show. It's an adaptation based on the script in the Library of Congress, and utilizing bits of music and songs that were in the production - though not necessarily all at the same time! L. Frank Baum makes a cameo appearance at the end of the show. I've never done anything quite like this before, and it was an interesting experience... but I don't think film-making is in my future!

4 comments:

Nasal Noteworthy said...

I just saw the video and it was GREAT! I got a real feel for the original show and your artistry with the toy theater was simply wonderful.

Bill Campbell said...

Thank you! I was hoping to capture a little of the color and variety that the original show had - after all, it truly was an extravaganza!

Sam Milazzo said...

So That's how Kansas and the Cyclone went - GREAT of you to show it to us like that!!

I can't wait to see the full video, Thanks!

Bill Campbell said...

It can't really be considered an accurate portrayal - there was no cyclone set as far as I know, it was done with lighting and projections. But it's my very abbreviated take on the whole thing!