Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Banishment of Ruggedo


Here's the Nome King at a pivotal point in his career as Oz villain - he's about to be banished from his kingdom by some enchanted eggs. I think this is a wonderful image of Ruggedo. This drawing by John R. Neill is from Tik-Tok of Oz, and was printed as a full page illustration in Chapter 18, page 201.

I have another drawing with a bit of the Nome King - and a bit of Tik-Tok himself. Here's Tik-Tok treading on the toes of the King - not something that would go over well. This drawing was used on page 166 and has a couple printer's notes regarding size for the finished illustration.

I think this demonstrates the sense of fun that Neill managed to convey with his Oz illustrations - this doesn't illustrate any specific incident in the book, but is very appropriate for the characters!

No comments: