Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Sawhorse


I've always liked the Sawhorse, the wooden steed introduced by L. Frank Baum in The Marvelous Land of Oz. He really doesn't get that much to do in the rest of the Oz series, but he pops up now and again. This is another chapter heading drawing by John R. Neill from Tik-Tok of Oz, this time Chapter 25, page 263. I don't think there are many surviving drawings of this character, so I'm glad to have this portrait.

This is slightly different from the other chapter headings I have. The whole image is a little bigger, and there is only a single line under the drawing - the rest of the chapter heads have a double line. This is the last chapter in the book - maybe Neill ran out of time!

No comments: