Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Three Impressarios


This piece by John R. Neill is another of my favorites. It was created for a magazine story, and the image feels so different from what I normally associate with the artist - the rich blacks and greys provide a sense of menace. The piece is an illustration from Pictorial Review magazine, ca. 1918. On the rear of the artwork is a label that reads "Charge to PR / order no. 4140". Michael Hearn once recalled having read the story, and not remembering any particularly menacing aspects - so the image may be a bit misleading. The drawing is rather large, about 18" by 24".

I won't be posting for the next few days, but will be back at it next week!

No comments: