Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In Other Lands


In Other Lands Than Ours was a collection of letters written by Maud Gage Baum to commemorate the European trip she and L. Frank took in 1906. The book was privately printed in 1907 in a small quantity - this is #18 of an unspecified number, and contains the bookplate of Charles Horton, to whom it was presented at Christmas 1907.

The book is an interesting read, particularly due to various incidents on the trip that L. Frank Baum made use of in Aunt Jane's Niece's Abroad. There are several photos, some shot by L. Frank, and some showing both he and his wife. The book itself would originally have had a slipcase.

I ran across this on a shelf of inexpensive signed books at a used book store, tucked in among a number of much more recent, and to me, far less desirable titles. Needless to say, I snatched it up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an incredible find!

Anonymous said...

I too round the same book on a shelf, number 13, yours looks nicer than mine.