Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Friday, June 13, 2008

Kabumpo in Oz



Kabumpo in Oz, from 1922, introduces what I think is one of Ruth Plumly Thompson's best Oz characters, Kabumpo the Elegant Elephant. Kabumpo would appear in a number of Thompson titles, and fits right in with the various Oz celebrities.

Several of the main characters from the book are shown on the cover, including Wag the rabbit. Wag is another of John R. Neill's wonderful baggy-pants rabbits - the same sort that Neill created for the series of Easter postcards that I believe were being printed at this time.



This book contains one of my favorite Oz color plates - the image of Ruggedo as a giant with the Emerald City stuck to his head. This illustration sort of sums up the Ruth Plumly Thompson Oz titles for me - somewhat chaotic and bursting in unexpected directions!

No comments: