Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Enchanted Island of Yew

The Enchanted Island of Yew, from 1903, is one of L. Frank Baum's less "Americanized" stories. As with Queen Zixi of Ix, I think this tale has more of a long ago and far away sensibility, and is a bit more European in style.

This book was illustrated by Fanny Cory, who also illustrated The Master Key. For this title, Bobbs-Merrill tried a different approach. There are 8 full color plates, but the text illustrations are printed in orange under the actual text. It's a fun look for the book, but the drawings are difficult to distinguish - I'd much prefer to see them on their own.

M.A. Donohue publishers re-used the cover design from this title for another book, a collection of stories and fairy tales. I ran across one in a small antique mall once and was quite surprised to recognize the cover - since then I've seen a copy of it featured in the Baum Bugle. I had passed up the copy I saw, as it was in pretty rough condition!

1 comment:

Jay said...

It would be nice to see those illustrations on their own... I bet someone with the know-how could remove the text from them.

(Seriously, this book needs a good reprint! All the reprints I've seen are not illustrated, or have a new set.)

Actually, I'm considering adapting "The Enchanted Island of Yew" as an animated video series when I'm done with my "Wonders of Oz" videos. I've already decided I'll start a bit later than the book, saving Marvel's true identity as a surprise at the end. (I've begun experimenting with Adobe Flash...)