Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jack Pumpkinhead of Oz

Jack Pumpkinhead of Oz, from 1929, brings Ruth Plumly Thompson's Peter back to Oz from Philadelphia. This book also introduces another of my favorite Thompson characters - Jinnicky, the Red Jinn of Ev. Jinnicky is a wizard, and his body is a red glass ginger jar. John R. Neill's one illustration of the character in this book is nothing like his later, much better interpretations.


For some reason, the fabric on first editions of this book tends to pucker, across the spine and rear cover. I don't know if the glue or sizing being used at the time was defective, but it's a condition I've noticed on most firsts that I've seen.

I have to admit, I always got a kick out of Jack's bell bottom pants. But then, he was always a stylish dresser!


No comments: