Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Monday, April 7, 2014

New York Again

Last Autumn I posted about an exhibition at the New York Public Library called The A B C of It: Why Children's Books Matter - the photo on the right is from that post. The show has been extended beyond its initial run, and I stopped by for another look when I was in NYC last week.
 
I was happy to see that the display of W. W. Denslow illustrations from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz  had been changed from those I viewed previously. This time, two chapter titles and one color plate drawing were on view. According to Michael Hearn, in The Annotated Wizard of Oz, the drawing for the Chapter Three title page was originally intended for Chapter Two. This explains the paper overlay with the inked title. It's always fun to see these things in person!
I was also pleased to be able to view a special copy of the Wonderful Wizard at the New York Antiquarian Book Fair. In December, Bonham's auction house sold a beautiful example of a first state, primary binding Wizard inscribed by both L. Frank Baum and W. W. Denslow, with a sketch by Denslow. This copy was for sale at the fair - I believe for $240,000. I didn't buy it. But it was lovely to see!

No comments: