Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Dust Jackets

Recently, I’ve been scanning a number of dust jackets for Mark Terry at Facsimile Dust Jackets. He offers a large line of dust jacket reproductions for numerous books, including the Oz titles. I was able, along with several other collectors, to help fill the gaps so that an entire run of first state Oz jackets are now available.
Although the metallic inks are missing from Emerald City, Road, and Dorothy and the Wizard, the jackets are beautifully restored and very presentable. There are some very rare jackets represented, which are fun to see, and there are other non-Oz Baum and Thompson titles available - on the left is an example of an original Sky Island together with the reproduction.

While a facsimile jacket doesn't add significant value to a book, the way an original jacket does, it does have decorative value. It's particularly nice in cases where the jacket has imagery seen nowhere else in the book. The jackets are clearly marked as facsimiles on the front flaps, and if you wish, it can be a fun way to spruce up a collection. I used a set of Baum firsts to dress up the set of Bradford Exchange facsimiles that I own.

2 comments:

Brian Brusky said...

Thank you Bill!!! I have been using these facsimiles for a while now and hoping to have some more of my first editions with covers like I see with "The Marvelous Land of Oz". (I have one he did for The Land Of Oz.") In addition to being nice on the shelf, they help to protect the books still. Looking forward to these and some of Baum's other "Near-Oz" books.

David Valentin said...

This is great! I think I will do the same thing. Hope there's a discount for the entire set! Thank you Bill!