Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hungry Tiger of Oz

The Hungry Tiger of Oz gives Betsy Bobbin another chance as a leading character in an Oz story. Betsy was basically a Dorothy substitute in Tik-Tok of Oz, and tends to simply get lumped along with the other American girls in Oz.

In this book from 1926, Ruth Plumly Thompson used Betsy in a starring role, along with the Hungry Tiger. I feel the Tiger also received minimal attention in other tales - but then, he is rather similar to the Cowardly Lion. One of the nice things about the number of Oz books written, is that almost every character eventually gets a chance to lead a story!

I believe most of the drawings for the color plates in this book survive. From what I can tell, there isn't much rhyme or reason to what does and doesn't exist in terms of Oz artwork.

No comments: