A while back, I posted images of the Patchwork Girl I made from a couple vintage quilt squares. Since then, I decided to give it another try, making a few changes, and this time creating the patchwork myself from new fabrics which would be much sturdier than the vintage material. Overall, she turned out pretty well, and is much sturdier than my first attempt!
When I posted pictures of the first Scraps, it was suggested that I try making a Scarecrow figure as a companion — so I've given it a shot. His head is basically a painted sack, and raffia has stood in for straw. There are a few things I'd do differently, (he's a little on the thin side), and I've already started on another variation, but he didn't turn out too badly.
It is fun to see these creatures in three dimensions and made as described in the Oz books (more or less). They have an eerie quality that I really didn't expect, and, due to their cheerful personalities in the books, don't personally tend to associate with the characters. I'll have to try another celebrity, possibly the Tin Woodman or Jack Pumpkinhead!