Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dorothy Doll?

 The other day, I happened to think of a photo I'd seen in the digital gallery of the New York Public Library website. This image shows Anna Laughlin, who played Dorothy in the original 1903 Broadway production of The Wizard of Oz, seated and holding a doll version of herself.

I can't help wondering whether these dolls were ever made available to the public? It would seem to be a likely souvenir to sell in the theater lobby wherever the show was playing. I've never heard of any, but wouldn't that be something fun to run across!

4 comments:

Bell-Snickle said...

That would be awesome, just like those dolls at the beginning of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"!

Bill Campbell said...

That's funny, it made me think of Baby Jane too!

Chandra said...

Baby Jane - first thing I thought of too! Great minds....;-)

Anonymous said...

*sees that doll*
MIGHTY NEED!