Welcome to my blog, featuring various pieces from my collection of Oz books, artwork and memorabilia!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Patchwork Girl

After The Sea Fairies and Sky Island had disappointing sales, L. Frank Baum returned to writing about Oz with The Patchwork Girl of Oz. I think this is a particularly satisfying book, both in story and appearance. Instead of color plates, color was used throughout the book as it had been in Ozma of Oz and John Dough and the Cherub. The cover was stamped, and the dustjacket had a wrap-around image, just as Sky Island had the previous year.

Many, in fact I think most, of the illustrations from this book survive. Even a handful of drawings that were done for a chapter that was deleted still exist, giving a tantalizing glimpse of what Baum wrote.

The book was heavily promoted - a paper cutout figure was issued, with advertising on the back, for booksellers to distribute. The one I'm showing below was partially cut out by an earlier owner.

My copy in dustjacket was another local antique show find - I've been amazed at my luck at these events over the years. Admittedly, most of my finds were before the dominance of online auctions, but I still say it's worth getting out and looking!


I'm heading off to NYC for the Antiquarian Book Fair - it's not too likely I'll buy anything, but it's always fun to see what's out there!

No comments: